Do you have your Christmas Stat days correct in your payroll?
With Christmas fast approaching, you have to be up to date with your employee’s entitlements over the holiday season. Below are important dates to consider… Key dates:
- 25th December 2015: Christmas Day (Friday)
- 26th December 2015: Boxing Day (Saturday)
- 28th December 2015: Boxing Day observed for staff who don’t usually work on Saturdays
- 1st January 2016: New Year’s Day (Friday)
- 2nd January 2016: The day after New Year’s Day (Saturday)
- 4th January 2016: 2nd January holiday observed for staff who don’t usually work on Saturdays
Public holiday Saturday or Monday?
Boxing Day and the 2nd January holiday both fall on a Saturday this Christmas, meaning they can be observed on either Saturday or Monday depending on what the Employee’s normal working day is:
If Saturday is the employee’s normal working day
Public holidays to be observed: Boxing Day = Saturday 26th December
2nd January = Saturday 2nd January
If Saturday is not normally a working day for the employee
Public holidays to be observed: Boxing Day = Monday 28th December
2nd January = Monday 4th January
Things to remember:
- Employees are entitled to a maximum of 4 public holidays over the Christmas and New Year period ie; no double dipping
- If a public holiday falls inside your annual shutdown period, then you are still required to pay Employees for the days they would usually work. Remember that you must give Employees 14 days’ notice of your shutdown period
- To be entitled to a paid day off on a public holiday, the day must be a normal working day for them
- If it is unclear what the Employee’s normal working days are, then consider the following factors:
- Their employment agreement – are they casual or permanent?
- Work patterns – e.g. rosters?
- What are your reasonable expectations that the employee would work on the day concerned?
To find out more about payroll over Christmas click here.
If you have any further questions regarding holiday pay and entitlements then give the team at People Passion a call on 09 299 2525