The most common mistake in recruitment – are you guilty?
We all make mistakes which is a great way to learn. So we thought we’d save you some time and learn from the most common mistake we see time and time again with our clients. Everyone is familiar with the 5Ps (if not – Prior Preparation Prevents Poor Performance). Yet for some reason there’s a belief this doesn’t apply to recruitment. Are you guilty of these pitfalls?...
- Get an advert up and running quickly because we need someone, like yesterday!
- John’s friend is looking for a job, John’s good let’s hire his mate
- Pay will be the same as we paid the last person
- We’ve always done it this way and it works so we’ll do it again
Whether you hire one or twenty one people in a year each time you must take the time to prepare for each recruitment campaign. Abraham Lincoln famously said “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe”. Spending 4 hours to get the basics right to attract your ideal candidate that you’ll spend 2 hours with is essential.
In these four hours you can…
- create job specifications covering all aspects of the role, skills and experience required
- Research latest salary trends for the role
- Research best advertising options – there’s a lot on offer for free
- Review all aspects of the role, what works well what doesn’t
- Create a new job description
- Make a project plan knowing who is going to do what
If you don’t have four hours, call us and we can get you on the right track at the start!